A word of the day activity with a variety of tasks to give context and meaning to a word.
A word of the day sheet to use with upper elementary students to practice dictionary and vocabulary skills.
The activity sheet includes:
- dictionary definition
- guide words on dictionary page
- word origin
- part(s) of speech
- word forms
- use the word in a sentence
- definition in your own words
- list 5 synonyms for the word
- list 5 antonyms for the word.
This resource can be used in a variety of ways, such as:
- use as a whole-class warm-up activity.
- use in your reading small groups to practice dictionary skills.
- use as a reading center activity with unknown words from a piece of text.
Use the drop-down menu to choose between the PDF or interactive Google slide version.
You might like to use this activity in conjunction with our Parts of a Dictionary – Poster.