A poster showing words and pictures for various vowel blends.
Vowel Digraphs… The Ultimate Phonic Teams!
Let’s start with the tricky terminology! In the world of phonics, a digraph is a two-letter combination that creates one sound. The English language consists of both consonant digraphs and vowel digraphs. Some vowel digraphs (also known as vowel ‘teams’) create short vowel sounds, while others create long vowel sounds. It is important for developing readers and writers to understand the sounds these vowel digraphs make. In some cases, the same vowel digraph can make multiple sounds! (Isn’t English grand?)
A Great Addition to Your Classroom Phonics Display
The set of posters highlights a variety of vowel digraphs. Each poster shows the digraph and a variety of words and images containing that digraph. The vowel digraphs included in the poster pack are:
- ea (as in bread)
- ai (as in brain), ay (as in play), a_e (as in tape)
- ee (as in bee), ea (as in tea), ey (as in keys)
- i_e (as in bike), ie (as in pie)
- oa (as in boat), o_e (as in rope), ow (as in snow), oe (as in toe)
- aw (as in paw), au (as in sauce)
- oo (as in book)
- ew (as in flew), ue (as in clue), oo (as in moon), u_e (as in tube)
- ou (as in mouse), ow (as in cow)
- oi (as in point), oy (as in boy)
In addition to displaying these posters in your classroom, you might like to try some of these great ideas!
📝 Create a fill-in-the-blank worksheet by removing selections of text.
📂 Place copies in students’ homework folders for reference.
💻 Provide posters as digital resources for virtual students.
Before You Download
This resource prints as a PDF. Use the download button to download the resource file.
Write a review to help other teachers and parents like yourself. If you'd like to request a change to this resource, or report an error, select the corresponding tab above.