Developing and sustaining foundational language skills: listening, speaking, reading, writing, and thinking--beginning reading and writing. The student develops word structure knowledge through phonological awareness, print concepts, phonics, and morphology to communicate, decode, and spell. The student is expected to:
- (1) demonstrate and apply phonetic knowledge by:
- (A) decoding multisyllabic words with multiple
sound-spelling patterns such as eigh, ough, and en;
- (i) decoding multisyllabic words with closed syllables; open syllables; VCe syllables; vowel teams, including digraphs and diphthongs; r-controlled syllables; and final stable syllables;
- (ii) decoding compound words, contractions, and abbreviations;
- (iii) decoding words using knowledge of syllable division patterns such as VCCV, VCV, and VCCCV with accent shifts;
- (iv) decoding words using knowledge of prefixes;
- (v) decoding words using knowledge of suffixes, including how they can change base words such as dropping e, changing y to i, and doubling final consonants; and
- (vi) identifying and reading high-frequency words from a research-based list;
- (vii) demonstrate and apply spelling knowledge by:
- (B) spelling multisyllabic words with closed syllables; open
syllables; VCe syllables; vowel teams, including digraphs and diphthongs;
r-controlled syllables; and final stable syllables;
- (i) spelling homophones;
- (ii) spelling compound words, contractions, and abbreviations;
- (iii) spelling multisyllabic words with multiple sound-spelling patterns;
- (iv) spelling words using knowledge of syllable division patterns such as VCCV, VCV, and VCCCV;
- (v) spelling words using knowledge of prefixes; and
- (vi) spelling words using knowledge of suffixes, including how they can change base words such as dropping e, changing y to i, and doubling final consonants;
- (vii) alphabetize a series of words to the third letter; and
- (C) write complete words, thoughts, and answers legibly in cursive leaving appropriate spaces between words.
- (A) decoding multisyllabic words with multiple sound-spelling patterns such as eigh, ough, and en;
Prefix Fun! - Cut and Paste Worksheet
Cut and paste to build words with prefixes with an fun and free prefix worksheet.
Prefixes and Suffixes Flipbook
Review and assess prefix and suffix knowledge with a printable vocabulary flipbook.
Prefixes Interactive Teaching Presentation
Teach your students to correctly identify, define, and spell words that include common prefixes with an interactive teaching presentation.
Homophones Practice Pack - Part 2
A practice pack to use when teaching homophones.
Find The Imposter! Interactive Suffix Game
Practice using the suffixes -s and -es to pluralize words with an exciting FInd the Imposter Interactive activity.
Dolch Sight Words Mat – Commonly Misspelled Words
A Commonly Misspelled Words Mat to assist students with their reading and spelling.
Generic Spelling Activity Worksheet Pack
A set of 6 generic spelling activity worksheets that can be used with any spelling list.
Thirty-two bingo cards using homophones. Accompanying clue cards are also included.
I Have, Who Has? - Homophones
A game to play as a class when learning about homophones.
Finger Twist Up - Phonics Game
A fun, engaging board game to consolidate students' understanding of blends and sounds.
Spelling Task Cards
A set of 58 spelling task cards.
'Their, There, They're' Visual Learning Guide
A poster for visual learners to easily differentiate between the homophones their, there, and they're.
Roll It! Read It! Write It! - Dolch Grade 2 Sight Words
Practice reading and writing Dolch’s Grade 2 sight words with this board game for multiple players.
Google Slides Interactive - Alphabetizing to the 3rd Letter Activity
Practice alphabetizing to the third letter with this Google Slides interactive clip card activity.
Multisyllable Words Worksheets
Build multisyllable word decoding skills with a Science of Reading based worksheet pack.
Long Vowel Words - Long A Word Search
Explore words containing some of the most common “long a” vowel teams with this set of differentiated word searches.
Suffix Mini Anchor Charts
Give your students a visual reminder of the meanings of 28 suffixes with a printable set of miniature anchor charts.
Prefix Word Wall - Words with Un, Re, Pre, Dis, In, and Mis
Build a vocabulary bulletin board of words with un-, re-, pre-, dis-, mis-, and in- with a printable prefix word wall display.
Spelling Words with -s, -es, and -ies Worksheets
Practice using the inflectional endings -s, -es, and -ies with a pack of English worksheets.
Digraph Roll Games - All Sets
A set of 6 phonics games played in pairs to assist students in recognizing different vowel and consonant digraphs in words.
Dolch Sight Words Mats – Complete Set
A set of 8 Dolch Sight Words Mats for students to use in the classroom.
Dolch Sight Words Mat – High-Frequency Words
A High-Frequency Words Mat to assist students with their reading and spelling.
Phoneme Match-Up Activity - w, wh, u
A set of fifteen phoneme game cards focusing on w, wh, and u.
Cat Handwriting Lines - Solid Middle Line
A set of handwriting lines to use when teaching your students how to sit their letters properly on a line.
Weekly Spelling Words and Activity Grid - Lower Grades
20 pages of weekly spelling words based on patterns, extension words, and activities.
Common Blends and Digraphs Bookmarks
These bookmarks are designed to help students remember some of the most common blends and digraphs while reading.
Word Building Mat - Skateboard Theme
A word building mat in a skateboard theme and a set of vowel, consonant, blend, and digraph cards.
Word Work Grid and Worksheets - Version 2
A grid with spelling activities and corresponding worksheets that can be used for any set of spelling words.
Dolch Sight Word Flash Cards - Third Grade
Practice third-grade Dolch sight words at home or school with sight word flashcards.
Homophones Practice Pack - Part 1
A practice pack to use when teaching homophones.
Witch and Which Homophones Poster Original Design
An educational poster for the homophones witch and which.
Spelling Suffixes Anchor Charts - Plurals
Help students understand when to apply the right plural spellings based on the ending of any word.