Guide your students on a trip through American history with an instructional slide deck depicting life in the New England Colonies.
What are the New England Colonies?
The 13 colonies of North America that later became the United States of America can be divided into three geographic areas: the New England, Middle, and Southern colonies. The New England colonies were the northernmost of the colonies: These included
- New Hampshire,
- Rhode Island,
- and Connecticut
Exploring the past through images and text, this unique slide show presentation depicts life in the northern colonies including the climate, growing and harvesting crops, supplies and tools, education, and social life.
Climate of the New England Colonies and More!
Living in the New England colonies was no walk in the park! It was difficult and often inhospitable.
Through this slide deck, students explore the region’s natural environment and how it shaped the lives of settlers, Native Americans, and immigrants. Students will examine different types of farming and learn how they grew food in these colonies. They’ll also understand how supplies were acquired in these colonies and what role each person played within the community.
With this slide deck, your students will analyze a map of the New England colonies and learn
- What were the New England colonies?
- How did the New England Colonies make money?
- What did the New England colonies produce?
- What was life like in the New England colonies?
- What was the climate like in the New England colonies?
- What was education like in the New England colonies?
Tips for Differentiation + Scaffolding
A team of dedicated, experienced educators created this resource to support your American History lessons.
If you have a mixture of above and below-level learners, check out these suggestions for keeping students on track with the concepts:
🆘 Support Struggling Students
Help students who need help understanding the concepts by
- Teach the slide deck concepts in short, 10-15 minute instructional segments, allowing your students to talk, process, and record their learning using one of our Colonial America worksheets or graphic organizers.
- Provide students with trade books or short articles about the colonies for reference during the activity.
Easily Prepare This Resource for Your Students
Use the download button to download the Google Slides version of this resource.
Don’t stop there! We’ve got more activities and resources to help you teach about the New England, Southern, and Middle Colonies.
Read and learn about Benjamin Franklin with an informational reader and activity booklet.
Read and learn about the father of our country, George Washington, with a printable reader and activity book.
Blend reading, writing, and historical concepts with the Declaration of Independence worksheet.