Build reading fluency and practice reading and spelling Dolch sight words with a pumpkin word-building center.
Print and Go! Pumpkin Patch Sight Word Center
Sight word instruction is a crucial part of teaching young students to read. Use this fall reading activity to help your students learn to read and spell the first 50 Dolch sight words.
Print out the pumpkin letter tiles and cut them apart. Place the letter tiles, spelling mat, and pumpkin truck cards in a literacy center or use them in a small group.
To play, students will
- Choose a pumpkin truck card and read the word aloud.
- Flip the card over so the word cannot be seen.
- Use the pumpkin letter tiles to spell the word independently.
- Flip the pumpkin truck card back over and check the spelling.
- Write the word they spelled on the recording sheet.
Ways to Use Pumpkin Patch Sight Words in the Classroom:
- Hang the pumpkin truck cards near your classroom door for easy access as you leave the room. They work great when you arrive at an event early (such as special areas, the cafeteria, or a school assembly) and have a few minutes to wait. Simply flip through the cards with your students and let them practice reading each one!
- Looking for something easy to send home with your struggling readers for extra practice? These will be perfect! They are an easy yet highly effective resource for parents to use at home! Use the drop-down menu to choose between the PDF or Google Slides version.
This resource was created by Lisamarie Del Valle, a teacher in Florida and Teach Starter collaborator.