Looking to get your class hooked on a book this holiday? Read on for a quick guide from the teachers on the Teach Starter team on how to make Read Across America Day a success in your classroom!
What Is Read Across America Day?Read Across America Day is considered the largest day of reading here in the US, but how much do you really know about the origins of the national holiday? Started in 1998 by the National Education Association, Read Across America originated as Dr. Seuss Day, a day when kids ate green eggs and ham and donned giant Cat in the Hat hats. These days the NEA has separated Read Across America Day from the controversial author, stating “NEA recognizes the need to work with a more diverse array of organizations and publishers to fulfill this need, and the Read Across America brand is now one that is independent of any one particular book, publisher, or character.” Instead, the day has become a chance to read a variety of diverse books featuring a diverse array of characters that better reflect the make-up of the American population.
When Is Read Across America Day 2023?Read Across America Day is traditionally celebrated on March 2, which will be a Thursday in 2023. This falls right in the middle of Read Across America Week, which spans from March 2-6, 2023. The day will also help kick off National Reading Month, which extends through the month of March.
How Can I Celebrate Read Across America With My Class?If you’re thinking of implementing Read Across America 2023 into your classroom, here are a few suggestions from our teacher team:
- Host a Reading Day or book-tasting party in your classroom and read some of the classics.
- Organize a book swap at your school to encourage students to exchange their old books with their friends.
- Take a field trip to the school or public library with your class to check out some new books and go on a Read Across America scavenger hunt!
- Hold a Read Across America costume day, and dress up as your favorite book characters.
Fun and Engaging Read Across America Crafts and Teaching Resources
- First, you need to print a set of these reading-inspired bookmarks! These adorable bookmarks are perfect for handing out to your students.
- Print and craft a set of stylish Read Across America glasses for your students to wear on their reading adventures.
- Read and share your favorite stories with our printable Book Recommendation template.
- Check out even more Read Across America ideas here!