Maps Teaching Resources
Bring geography to life in your classroom with printable maps of Australia and countries around the world, map worksheets and activities and a whole lot more! This teaching resource collection was created by the primary teachers at Teach Starter to help you familiarise your students with different countries and their positions within the world.
This teaching resource collection includes both blank and labelled maps of various countries in the southern and northern hemispheres, so you can make the edits you need to fit your lesson planning needs.
New to teaching maps? Read on for a primer from our teacher team including a kid-friendly definition of maps, plus a look at what students should know about this tool before they leave primary school.
What Are Maps?
Trying to explain maps to your early years students? Here's a simple definition for kids:
A map is like a picture of a place, like your room, your school, or your city. It helps you understand where things are and how to get to them.
Maps are made up of special symbols and colours to help you find a variety of different things, like roads, rivers, mountains, and buildings. By using a map, you can find your way to a new place and explore the world around you!
Types of Maps
Throughout primary school, students will encounter a variety of maps. Some are more general (like a map showing state boundaries), while others contain more detailed images that pinpoint right where their school sits in a neighbourhood! Each map type serves its own purpose and can teach our students more about their community and our world.
Here's a look at some of the various types of maps you might share with your students:
- Political map: Shows the boundaries and locations of countries, states, and cities, as well as other man-made features such as roads.
- Physical map: Shows the physical features of an area, such as mountains, rivers, and lakes.
- Topographic map: Shows the elevation and contours of an area and is often used for hiking or other outdoor activities.
- Climate map: Shows the different types of climate in a region, such as temperature and precipitation patterns.
- Road map: Shows the network of roads in an area and is typically used for driving directions.
- Geological map: Shows the types of rocks and minerals found in an area, as well as fault lines and other geological features.
- Nautical map: Shows the features of bodies of water, such as depth, currents, and underwater hazards.
- Thematic map: Shows a specific theme or topic, such as population density, natural resources or political affiliations.
What Should Kids Know About Maps?
By the time they leave primary school, students should have a solid understanding of maps and how to use them to explore the broader world! Here are some of those map basics they should know:
- What's the purpose of a map? Kids should know that maps offer a visual representations of the world, which help us to locate places, find directions, and understand the relationship between different areas.
- The basic features: From a compass rose to a map key, kids need to be able to identify the features of a map and know how to use them.
- Reading and interpreting maps: Whether it's a road map, topographical map or weather maps, kids should know how to read it and how to interpret it.
- Cardinal directions: Kids should know the difference between north, south, east and west and how to use the four cardinal directions to navigate a map.
- Locating places: Kids need to learn to use coordinates — such as latitude and longitude — and how to locate places using them, as well as pinpointing location with the use of landmarks, street names, and other features.
Map Skills Teaching Presentation
Teach basic map skills to younger students with this visually appealing and age-appropriate teaching presentation.
Australian States and Capital Cities Map Worksheet
A worksheet for students to use when learning about Australian states, territories and capital cities.
World Map with Countries - Black and White
Teach your students about the continents and countries of the world with this black-and-white world map.
Map of the World - Labelling Activity
Discover and label the world's continents and oceans with this blank map of the world.
Australia's Neighbour Nations - Teaching Presentation
Discover the location of some of Australia’s closest neighbour nations with this comprehensive and visually appealing teaching presentation.
Blank Map of Australia - Template
Record and represent data about the location of significant places with this printable blank map of the continent of Australia.
World Mapping Workbook
Develop mapping skills by plotting key features and locations onto a map of the world.
Australia and Its Neighbours - Poster and Labelling Activity
A set of maps and worksheet for students to use when looking at Australia and its neighbours.
Australian Landform Map
A map of Australia showing the major landforms.
Features of Maps - Worksheet
Apply knowledge of the components of a map to this map elements worksheet.
Map of Australia - Labelling Activity
Discover and label Australia's states, capital cities and key landmarks on this blank map.
Features of Maps Posters - B.O.L.T.S.S
Explore the features of maps using this set of colourful classroom posters.
Australian Map - Puzzle
Help your students concrete their understanding of the map of Australia with this interactive puzzle.
Cartoon Map of Australia
Explore the continent of Australia with a map showing each capital city and some of the most famous landmarks.
Blank Map of the World - Template
Teach your students about the world’s seven continents and five oceans with this blank map of the world for labelling.
World Map Poster
Teach your students about the continents and countries of the world with this detailed map.
World Mapping Features – Teaching Presentation
Explore the key map features of world maps with this 18-slide PowerPoint presentation.
Blank Map of Africa - Template
Record and represent data about the location of significant places with this printable blank map of the continent of Africa.
Australian Climate Regions Poster and Worksheet
A poster and a worksheet outlining the climate regions in Australia.
Time Zones World Map
A poster to display in the classroom to show the different time zones of the world.
Blank Map of Queensland - Template
Record and represent data about the location of significant places with this printable blank map of the Australian state of Queensland.
Australia-Centred World Map
Teach your students about the continents, oceans and countries of the world with this Australia-centred world map.
Map of the Regions of Asia
A map showing the layout, regions and major countries of Asia.
The World's Continents and Oceans – Teaching Presentation
Explore the seven continents and five oceans of the world with this comprehensive teaching presentation.
Labelling the Continents and Oceans Worksheets
Turn Geography into a fun and educational learning experience with our cut-and-paste worksheets!
Features of Maps - Teaching Presentation
Explore the most common features of maps with this engaging teaching presentation.
Australia's Neighbouring Countries - Poster Pack
Familiarise your students with Australia’s neighbouring countries with a pack of detailed maps.
Blank Map of Tasmania - Template
Record and represent data about the location of significant places with this printable blank map of the Australian state of Tasmania.
Mapping a Journey – Worksheet
A worksheet that allows students to create a map of a journey when exploring local places.
Blank Map of Europe - Template
Record and represent data about the location of significant places with this printable blank map of the continent of Europe.
World Vegetation Zones - Mapping Template
Locate and explore different vegetation zones around the world with this mapping worksheet.
Map of the World's Vegetation Zones
Locate and explore the different biomes of the world with this engaging classroom poster.